Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Different Thoght Processes

Just seeked my boss advices on the framework and workplan I drafted.
He has been in management level since I know him, and I have been a engineer since start. Our thought processes are totally different. He always see things top down (Objective come first) and I always see thing from bottom up (feasibility and restriction first). So, I have been restricting myself in a lot of ways, and tends to be very practical, and so lacks the visions.

I am told to keep in mind, my vision, my goals, my roles, and from there derived the needs, the tools, the process, the resource. And more importantingly, do not be restricted in thought by the known limitation and difficulty encountered, experienced as an Engineer.

I will have to train myself to change the thought process and so I wrote this blog to remind myself.

6 comments:

Carrie said...

Addoil!!^^

Both your mindset and his mindset are important, and you two complete each other's thoughts.

San Wen Ji said...

yes, vision is so so important...
today i discuss the same with my colleague...she seems not very understand what i am going to tell her....
u know and sure u can do it....give yourself some time

Garfield said...

All the best

totoro said...

Thought for middle managers you need to have both micro and macro views ...

Otherwise,

(1) top-down: the objectives set will be unrealistic, not managing expectations on the ground (blue hat)

(2) bottom-up: too focus on implementation details (white hat) as well as being critical and negative (black hat)

For me, no choice, i have to look at all angles, coz i need to wear all hats.

Borrowing excerpts from "Edward de Bono's Six Thinking Hats" :P

梁巔巔 said...

點解寶藝成日唔睬我?!??!?

Sunshine said...

LDD : she is having exam tmr. So need time to study, I think.