Friday, January 13, 2006

Office Update

Today, we have a kick off meeting with the outsourcing vendor, also some of my colleagues will meet their new employer and those of us who stayed have had our 1st team meeting. 'The new CIO Office will be a team of thinkers, the operation will be perform by the outsourcing vendor', said our DCIO. He proceeded to tell us the plan and the challenge ahead, it will be a very busy year and will focus on transition this year. Everyone have their role more or less, except myself. As I will be doing Technology planning for the organisation, it will be quite uncertain as of what will be the technology and how to measure my performance. I will have to think about it in the weekend. All in all, I am glad I am given such a chance to take on this role and leave my technical role behind, I hope I will not be a disappointment.

My plan is
1) Identify and priorise the IT need in the organisation.
2) Set up networking with other Agencies and Vendors, so as to keep up with trend and technology development.
3) Work with the business analysts and check if new technology is require in their coming project.
4) Train up on Strategy planning, interpersonal and presentation skill

More to add on. The most urgent task is to have smooth transition of my work and my current boss work, also collect data for IDA to prepare for the coming SOE implementation.

Actually, due to the changes in this few days, I am emotionally quite disturbed, as I feel the distance from some colleagues that will be outsourced. Some do not want to talk and a couple even put remarks as 'Hah, you can stay ah!?!?' as though I am not good enough to stay, may be I am not, but could they not just be graceful and say something nice. Well, may be they are not in good mode, I will be too if I am them.

But somehow, I think through, leaving this organisation may be a good choice too, as the outsourcing vendor is a very big company and have quite good prospect although they are going to the subsidary only. But the incoming technical lead is actually our helpdesk team leader 6 years ago. If he can climb in 6 years with that vendor, who can say that going to the outsourcing vendor isn't a blessing in disguise? By exposing to more environment and gather more experience, knowing more people, opportunity may be waiting somewhere. My dear colleagues, do not lose hope, things may be better than you think, also as Mattew Andrews say 'If you cannot change the situation, make the best of it'. Lastly, changing is unavoidable, but worrying is optional. All the best.

2 comments:

Garfield said...

Don't worry, they just need some times to get over the sore feelings in them.

Carrie said...

Hey, I wish you gd luck in get things settled and enjoy the work. =)