Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Big Change in my office and work portfolio.

Today, in the late afternoon, my debuty CIO announced the change of Department structure, this is the 2nd changes in 2 years. This round is of greater scale than the last. 9 out of 19 persons (9 out of 15 if excluded managers) will be transferred to the outsourcing vendor. I understand this is unavoidable because of our IT job nature. I just hope that I am not in the list. But my job nature as a System Administrator and DBA is one of the most replacable job by vendors. The namelist will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

I think again, then I start to notice something,
1) I have done my performance appraisal in the morning with my boss. She did not hinted anything about change and even discuss on the future. How can I be in the plan if I am outsourced?
2) Not everyone have the chance to do a survey (Harrison Innerview), that may prove that the management is looking for people filling the new roles in the new organisation chart. I am one of the fortunate to be given the form.

After much thoughts, I think I will be staying. That is confirmed in the evening when my boss called. But I will have a totally new portfolio. I think I may be assigned to research work on New Technology to improve my organisation. That will be a challenge, but I like research and I will like to know more about my new portfolio. But this is my guess only, and will only know tomorrow.

I felt sad for those colleagues who will be outsourced. Although they will be with us till handover or even longer, I think I will miss them. Although I have learn the rule of detachment, I still felt some sadness. All the best, my dear colleagues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Add-on
Someone read my blog and spread this news, one of my ex-colleague is confused as she have 2 news, one saying I am out and my blog says I am in. She is so confused that she send a sms to me instead of another person (that is how I know someone is spreading rumour). Sigh... news spread fast, rumour is even faster.

5 comments:

梁巔巔 said...

GOOD LUCK!

chipmunk said...

I'm glad to hear that you will get to do something more interesting. One step closer to work bliss! Gambateh!

totoro said...

It is a basic fact of life, for almost all industries in a free market, all products will be eventually reduced to a commodity over time. For infocomm tech, it simply happens much more quickly. Same goes for human assets, whether in govt or private sector, the older you get, you depreciate in value (unless you are given the privilege to climb the corporate ladder).

Hyacinthus said...

To me, research work is more interesting than that of technical work maintain. It's great chance to explore yourself more and involve in new technology development. I like challenge.

Hyacinthus said...

this is the 2nd changes in 2 years. This round is of greater scale than the last. 9 out of 19 persons will be transferred to the outsourcing vendor.

too bad.........

as a System Administrator and DBA is one of the most replacable???

no just DBA but user as well, all can be replaced if ur boss would like to be....