Friday, September 22, 2006

Lovely Musical :"Forbidden City : Portrait of the Empress"


I have not posted any blog for sometime, life is simply dull, with unhappy news pouring in. But there is still a bit of joy during this period, they are
1) My 'used-to-be' golf partner just have a daughter, I am happy for him
2) Watched 2 acceptable movies: 'Monster House'(animation), 'The Host'(Korean)
3) Most of all, last Friday's Musical : "Forbidden City : Portrait of the Empress" fill the grey world with colours.

Dick Lee (composer) is just brilliant! The songs suits the background and the emotion of all the scenes, and the best of all, it makes the lyric so easy to listen. I could not catch all of the Lyrics for most Broadway performance, but for this musical, I could hear them loud and clear, may be because Dick is a Singaporean and know the taste of Singaporean?

The weakness of the performance is on the other hand, is also language. The mandrain subtitles has so many wrong words (although the pronounciation is the same), it is laughable to most chinese educated people.

Kit Chan, the leading Singer, is wonderful! I have always like her performance since her performance with Jacky Cheung in 'Snow, Wolf, Lake'.

The performance has successfully encompasses most of the emotion in life, happy, sadness, betrayal, fear, anger...

I am so glad I did not miss this performance and sure it cheer me up a bit. (I drafted this entry while listening to its soundtrack)

2 comments:

Ruth Tam said...

It's good to watch a good show.

Hyacinthus said...

yup, seems that all are busy recently. Quite alot of Singaporean singers come to expand their market and cross develop in HK, Taiwan and other regions. It isn’t strange to me when you mentioned some here. I like KitChan too, her voice is quite touching. Thanks for sharing here.