Sunday, August 27, 2006

System Recovered

After enduring a few months of my PC doing system reset by itself, I have enough of it and decided to investigate the cause.

My actions :
1) Download Memtest86+ at http://www.memtest.org/
2) Install the floppy version to a bootable floppy disk
3) Reboot and run the test

The result is kind of funny, errors happened in 2 out of 8 passes (with each pass having 8 different memory tests). It is irregular as should the memory failed, every test should have the same result.

Follow up :
1) Open the PC casing, remove 1 of the 2 memory card (I am using 2 x TwinMOS DDR400, dual channels)
2) Reboot and run test agains

This time the result (after 4 passes) shows that everything is fine, although due to a memory card removal, dual channel access has reduced to a single channel, thus memory access speed is dropped.

Finally :
1) I replace back the memory card and test again

The time the result (after 4 passes) are fine again too.

I have no conclusion for that, and so I let it run for another 48 hrs while using bitcomet to download stuff (fully utilise the idle time).

So far so good, it has not been resetting itself again since then. Well, I consider myself lucky and I want it to at least work till next year when Microsoft Vista is released and Core 2 Duo processor stabilised.

2 comments:

Hyacinthus said...

what a details procedure?
document for yourself reference sometimes soon?

Sunshine said...

Not really, nothing to blog, so blog some technical stuff. Haha.
:-)